Tuesday, April 8, 2008

She Really
Can Smile!
Showing teeth is nothing special for most people, however, for VB it's extremely rare . In almost every picture, Victoria has a fierce looking pout... part of her Posh image? However, when asked at a recent signing for her book, That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between, why she always looks so unhappy, Victoria spoke about her smiling struggles: "The press are everywhere. I guess I just don't always think to start grinning when I'm leaving the Ivy or shopping for knickers and socks. I really am a pleasant person, especially when I'm with David and the children. My favorite picture in the book is one of me covering my face while I'm laughing. That shot really captured who I am. Although I don't smile do I? I'm supposed to be a miserable bitch right?" After vowing to smile more for her fans, she added "I have to laugh it off. There are tons of pictures taken but paparazzi want to show you in a certain light. You can't take any of it seriously."

5 comments:

Maddy said...

Being a celebrity seems to be a pretty heafty job in terms of dealing with the paparazzi. I can actually agree with Posh when she doesn't think of grinning when leaving certain places. I mean if I was walking around campus smiling ear to ear, posing for a picture every second people would call me weird. The fact is these celebrities walk down the street with 20 photographers walking in front of them screaming things at them...does that sound like something to make you smile? I mean honestly, it must be really awkward and a little intimidating to have people looking at you all the time. I don't blame celebrities for putting their head down and not smiling once in a while.

Matt Shelosky said...

I think Maddy makes a good point that it's hard to smile all the time, especially when people are trying to take your picture constantly...

I do think, though, that this is a great move if Posh is going to smile more. People clearly act more positively if they're greeted with a smile than a blank or frowning look. I'm not sure if this was just a choice she made to smile more, or if someone close to her suggested it before this interview you speak of.

This could help her to get new endorsements or sponsors, and is a win-win for her and her fans.

Helena said...

I agree with the other posters that you can't smile all the time, especially when you're a celebrity and paparazzi are constantly around you. But let's be honest here, Victoria Beckham almost never smiles! I think it's strange how she jokes around about it, coyly saying "I never smile" -- yet, I can't recall one picture I've ever seen of her where she truly is smiling (Besides the two you just posted!) Maybe someone should make a little more of an effort...t

alisha said...

In an interview that I read back when the Beckhams first came to LA, I remember Posh discussing this. She also said that someone involved with the Spice Girls told her to always wear sunglasses to ensure that she never caught eyes with the paparazzi. I do think it's a shame that she gets such criticism about not smiling in pictures, because every interview/etc. that I've seen her do in person she always seems happy and jovial. I agree with the others- it obviously just has to do with avoidance of the paps.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see that she is aware of the industry and mechanics of it, just as we are after studying it in this class. I think the young celebrities in Hollywood that are out of control (Lindsay Lohan etc.) would benefit from a lesson in what the business is about. She is maintaining her image and that impresses me.